There are many at-home whitening products available, and you can either get them from Summit Heights Dental, or you can visit your local pharmacy or box store. We’re here to help you do your homework and find the type that best fits your lifestyle.
There are two types of take-home teeth whitening kits. The first option is a professional kit in which the take-home whitening program is designed, prescribed, supplied, and supervised by your dentist in North York at Summit Heights Dental. The second option is a generic, non-prescription store-bought kit. Here’s a quick run-down of these 2 options…
- Professional Take-Home Teeth Whitening
- We will make custom-made trays that specifically contour to your teeth to ensure the best results. The process starts by taking impressions of both your upper and lower teeth with a non-toxic dental putty.
- These impressions are sent to a lab where your custom-fit trays are made.
- When your trays are ready, we’ll schedule an appointment for you to come in to pick them up and get one-to-one instructions. We’ll also record the shade of your teeth so we can compare their before-whitening color to their final whiteness after treatment is complete.
- Store-Bought Take-Home Whitening Kits
- There are a number of options for teeth whitening at home – gels, strips, pens, rinses, and toothpastes.
- Store-bought bleaching kits do not include a custom-fitted tray and often do not have the same concentration of bleaching agent. This is why they are cheaper than professional take-home whitening trays and why the whitening process takes longer and is less effective than professional kits. Using a standard one-size-fits-all tray may not allow even bleaching and may leak whitening gel into your mouth, which may cause burning and irritation.
- Store-bought kits may require up to a month to see results which vary and are not guaranteed.
- Whitening rinses have started to gain some popularity. Like most mouthwashes, they freshen breath and help reduce dental plaque, however their whitening effects can be minor. Some people experience a black tongue with these products, but not to worry. When you stop using the rinse, it will go away.
If you are considering teeth whitening, give Summit Heights Dental a call at (647) 370-1848 or talk to us during your next visit. We can make a recommendation on the best product to brighten your smile!