Dental fillings are a popular restorative treatment that addresses cavities and safeguards teeth from further damage. Bacteria in the mouth are responsible for tooth decay that leads to cavities. Let’s examine what dental fillings entail and why you may require one.
What is a dental filling?
A dental filling is a restorative dental procedure that involves removing the damaged portion of a tooth and filling the cavity with various materials, such as composite resin, porcelain, or amalgam.
Why Would I Need a Dental Filling?
There are several different reasons why you might need a dental filling:
- Treat Cavities: The most common reason for needing a dental filling is to treat a cavity caused by tooth decay. If left untreated, a cavity can continue growing, eventually leading to more serious dental problems.
- Repair Cracked or Broken Teeth: Dental fillings in Fairview can be used to repair teeth that are cracked or broken. A filling can help restore a damaged tooth’s shape and function.
- Restore Worn Teeth: Teeth can become worn over time due to grinding, clenching, or other factors. Dental fillings can help restore the eroded teeth’s surface and prevent further damage.
- Improve Tooth Appearance: Dental fillings in Fairview can also be used for cosmetic purposes, such as to fill in gaps between teeth or to conceal stains or discolouration.
Types of Dental Fillings
Several types of dental fillings in Fairview are available, each with its advantages and disadvantages:
- Composite Resin Fillings: Composite resin fillings are made of a tooth-colored material that blends in with your natural teeth. They are a popular choice for front teeth and other visible mouth areas. However, composite resin fillings may not be as durable as other fillings and may need to be replaced more often.
- Amalgam Fillings: These are made of a mixture of metals and are a strong and durable choice for back teeth and mouth areas that are not as visible. However, some people may be concerned about the use of mercury in amalgam fillings.
- Porcelain Fillings: These are tooth-colored, strong, and durable materials. They are a good choice for front teeth and other visible mouth areas. However, porcelain fillings are typically more expensive than some other types of fillings.
- Gold Fillings: Gold fillings are a strong and durable choice for back teeth. They are also more expensive than other fillings and may not be as aesthetically pleasing.
The Dental Filling Procedure:
Getting a filling is a simple and straightforward process:
- Anesthesia: A local anesthetic is administered to numb the area around the tooth. This will help minimize any discomfort during the procedure.
- Removal of Decay: Our dentist will then use a dental drill or other instruments to remove the decayed part of the tooth.
- Cleaning the Cavity: Once the decay is removed, the cavity is cleaned and prepared for the filling.
- Filling the Cavity: Our dentist will fill the cavity with the chosen filling material. The filling material will be carefully polished to match your tooth’s natural shape.
- Checking Your Bite: We will check your bite after the filling is placed to ensure the filling does not interfere with your tooth alignment.
- Post-Procedure Care: Detailed instructions will be provided for post-procedure care, including avoiding hard or sticky foods for a certain period and practicing good oral hygiene habits.
At Summit Heights Dental in Fairview, we offer a range of dental procedures to help our patients maintain healthy and strong teeth. Dental fillings are a standard restorative procedure that can be used to repair cavities, fix cracked or broken teeth, replace damaged teeth, and enhance the appearance of your smile. Our dental team is committed to providing every patient with quick, effective, and comfortable treatments. We work with you to create a personalized treatment plan tailored to your unique needs and goals, whether you require a filling for a cavity or to repair a broken tooth.